Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Jason Wu Misses the Target

   I've been reading about the Jason Wu for Target collection for months. When I saw the preview I picked out so many pieces that I wanted to try on I figured I'd be at the store for hours! So while everyone else in this area was watching the Super Bowl, I'd be dressed in Wu!
   One of my friends and I were texting in the morning, wondering if there would be lines and should we go early? She was thinking she would shop online. I really wanted to see everything in person and maybe get opinions from other shoppers on the selection.
  So when I walked into Target Sunday I was expecting to then walk into the dressing room with an armload of clothes. Instead I had to look for the collection and once I found it I couldn't believe it.
  There were four pieces from the collection.
  That's it.
  Just four pieces.
  Where's the black trench with the lace trim? The adorable blue dress with the red stripe around the skirt?
   So I left.
   Disappointed.
   And annoyed.
   And I wasn't the only one.
   Today I saw video of people hoarding the Wu collection. Taking every piece of clothing off the racks and shoving into a shopping cart, telling other shoppers to look for the stuff on eBay.
   This makes me rethink the idea of having high end designer clothes in stores such as Target.
  Doesn't it diminish the integrity of not only the designs, but the designers to have their creations shoved into a shopping cart and then hocked on an internet site?
  I think it does.
  I looked on eBay. The prices are three to four times the amount you would've paid in the store or online.
 Jason Wu and Target had good intentions. Bring upscale designs to the masses. Missoni did it. Versace did it. But if other designers want to jump on board then the stores have to put rules in place and come up with a better plan to make sure the next designer doesn't miss the target.