Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What's on your Wish List?

    I knew I was in trouble as soon as I walked into the store. Perched on a shelf in the back of the shop, directly in my line of sight. was a vintage red hat box. (reminiscent of the Louis Vuitton hat box I sold on eBay...and still wish I'd kept).


   I was at Wish List Consignment in Hanover and I had to have that vintage 1960's hat box. But I wasn't there to shop! I was there to check out this vintage consignment store that opened six months ago.
  The owner, Gretchen Gold, saw a need on the South Shore of Massachusetts for an upscale vintage store. To find such high end items, you would normally have to drive into Boston.
   Not anymore!
   Wish List Consignment has a private entrance at the rear of the Hanover Mall, between Sears Automotive and Macy's.
   Gretchen and her store stylist, Mat "Maverick" Schuetz, created a fantastic place to take a step back in time and have access to fashion history.
   Gold says she only accepts items from the 1900's to the 1980's. She does have a small section for contemporary clothing, but her clients love the access to vintage labels you normally only read about.
   Consigning with the shop is a breeze. They're looking for authentic vintage men's and women's clothing along with vintage jewelry, home furnishings, decorations and musical instruments.
   Just call and set up an appointment with Gretchen. As they like to say, "Bring us what we are looking for and you receive 50% off the selling price!" A very good deal indeed!
   But I warn you. Even if you go into the store to consign an item (or many items) you will want to look around. And I guarantee you will love what you find.
 
  How often do you see this?
 
  Vintage 1960's Oleg Cassini dress...


  Or this...vintage HALSTON!!!

 















  How about this fantastic Bill Blass jacket!


Want to go back a little bit further in time? Check out this selection from the1950's: circle skirts and this dreamy prom gown...












 



 
   Also in the Wish List...vintage Pucci, Gucci and Missoni...oh my!
  And a piece that made me take a deep breath and a step back.


  (breathe in, breathe out...)

  Alexander McQueen.






  Looking to accessorize? Wish List has that too. 
  Hats, gloves, jewelry, handbags. You could spend hours just looking through the collection.
 Or you could ask Mat and he'll put something together for you.

Vintage Schiaparelli Hat

 
  When I spoke to customers who were in the store for the first time, they all agreed the store was a "hidden gem" and they would definitely be back.      

  So what's on your Wish List? If you're looking for something particular, let Gretchen know. She works with a number of consignors...and she may be able to find it for you.

  What did she find for me? She helped me rediscover my love for the history of fashion. The store is a feast for a fashionista's eyes!                   

  Everywhere you look there is one fabulous piece after another. Look through the racks of clothing and you're looking through fashion history. I've always loved vintage accessories, but never knew I could fall in love with not one, but two vintage 1950's coats! Oh and you're just dying to see what I got, aren't you?!
 
  The first one is a long, wool coat with a high collar. The second one is a cropped jacket with 3/4 length sleeves.



  So is my Wish List complete?
  Not even close!
  I can't wait to go back into the store and see what I find next.
  And yes, I'll let you know what I get. I have my eye on a few other things...
  (I did get the hatbox. Did you think I was going to leave the store without that in my hands? I love it!)

----------------------------------
 Find more Fabulous Fashion Files on Facebook
 
Get updates and fun pictures on Wish List Consignment's Facebook page

Check them out! Hanover Mall 781-829-9474
Let me know what you find!