Monday, August 9, 2010

Lunch with Chanel Autumn/Winter 2010

I glided up the escalator at Neiman Marcus in Natick and as usual, glanced up to see the hundreds of crystal butterflies dangling from the sealing, just out of reach.

I was at the store today for the invitation only Chanel luncheon and fashion show.

This time I was here for the autumn/winter 2010 collection.

I got to the second floor, greeted the familiar faces and anticipated an amazing show.

I watched Chanel's fall/winter 2010 show online, but as I was about to learn, seeing it in person is a completely different animal.

The Chanel show was at the Grand Palais in Paris as usual.

And in grand Karl Lagerfeld fashion there was more to the show than just the beautiful clothes and accessories.

In the middle of the runway was a 28 foot iceberg.

It was the autumn/winter collection after all. What a better way to emphasize dressing for the chilly weather.

No iceberg in the middle of Neiman Marcus thank goodness.

But there was plenty of Chanel.

And each piece was better than the last.

Tall boots covered in faux "fantasy" fur with icicle heels.

Tweed dresses embellished with small crystals to give them just a little bit of shine.

Butter soft leather jackets with faux fur trim and faux fur peeking out from the sleeves and trimming the bottom.

Black leather leggings with Coco Chanel's favorite flower, the camellia, etched into the fabric.

At the show in the Grand Palais the models walked among the grand iceberg.

At the Neiman's show the models walked among our tables so we could really see the details up close.

Amazing.

Seeing the "fantasy" fur so close. It was incredibly luxurious.

(Chanel calls its faux fur collection "fantasy" fur)

So different from when I saw it all online.

So much better in person!

I could have definitely cuddled up in some of that fantasy fur.

Even the handbag had faux fur trim.

And no, I didn't buy one.

Thought about it though....

"Oh I see you have the Chanel Timeless Clutch from the Spring collection".

I looked over to see the Chanel representative from New York. She was gesturing toward my clutch which was sitting on the table.

"Oh yes," I said. "I didn't think there was going to be one left after the Spring show! So many customers fell in love with it, me included!"

"Good thing you did get it," she said. "It sold out and isn't available anymore. There was a limited number created. Our clients in New York were so upset to see it go so quickly."

I smiled. So glad I made the purchase.

"I bring it everywhere," I told her, "and it always gets such a reaction! I love it!"

The Chanel rep smiled back.

"A fabulous purchase"

"Yes." I agreed. "One of the best ones I've ever made."

I didn't buy anything that day.

I really didn't see anything that caught my eye.

Well, one thing did.

But I was already carrying it.

Safe in the knowledge that I was one of the only Chanel customers who could say that.

Such a fabulous feeling!

Even better than all that fantasy fur.....